Articles & Publications
These are some of the resources developed by MIT and others outside MIT on IT security, information protection and identity theft.
- Office of the General Council
- This article, "Massachusetts Passes Law Regarding Disposition and Destruction of Records Containing Personal Information," covers the so-called "Data Breach Law" and MIT's responsibilities under this law.
- InformationWeek: ID Theft Monitoring Services
- Yahoo! Finance: Identity Theft Through a Lifetime
These websites contain information pertaining to information protection relevant to both MIT and other organizations or individuals handling sensitive data.
- MIT VPF Merchant Services
- IS&T Secure Computing
- MIT Police - Crime Prevention Unit
- Annual Credit Report.com
Request your free credit report online, by phone or through the mail. Sponsored by the three credit-reporting bureaus Equifax, TransUnion and Experian.
- Security 4 Web
Resource for securing your credit card transactions and protecting your personal information.
- Federal Trade Commission
- Deter, Detect, Defend. Avoid ID Theft.
- Protecting Personal Information: Guide for Businesses
This site contains a very helpful video tutorial on taking stock, scaling down, locking, and removing personal information as well as having a plan to respond to data incidents.